Do you see yourself as a fun person? It doesn’t matter if you’re a playful person or not, you can still find easy ways to add more fun to your life, even if you’re a busy Mom. Sidenote: If you’re a busy Mom, you ABSOLUTELY need to add more fun into your life!
Listen to the podcast below to learn SO MANY more good tips and lessons on how to have more fun in your life. In the podcast, I share personal experiences that aren’t part of this blog post.
If you’re like most people with kids, a mortgage, and a to-do list a mile long, you’re busy. You don’t think about “having fun” since that seems too frivolous. I don’t blame you. Who has time for fun when the kitchen looks like a tornado hit?
Here’s a secret to life: when things are fun, things get done faster, easier, and more efficiently.
I’ll give you an example. Have you ever tried to MAKE your child do her homework? Not so fun, right? But what if her homework is a fun project that she’s excited to do? How quickly does that homework get done?
Same for you! If you have more fun, everything is easier!
My Day Job
One of the most important places for me to have “fun” is at my day job. So many people count down the hours they’re at work. They can’t wait for the weekend so they can finally “have fun.” Not me.
I love work. For me, going to work is fun. Here are some ways I make it fun:
- I found ways to enjoy my commute. I’ve turned my long commute into “me” time by listening to audiobooks while I drive. I have a Scribd account* and I download about 2-3 audiobooks a month. I also purposely leave very early in the morning so there’s no traffic. My commute (at least in the morning) feels amazing and fills me up. [*Aff link – Get two months of Scribd free 🙂 Wohoo!]
- I look forward to seeing my coworkers. It’s fun to be an adult and have adult conversations.
- I see complicated work as a puzzle. Instead of being frustrated by difficult projects, I see them as a fun puzzle I’m trying to solve. This makes the work feel exciting!
- I look forward to actually finishing my tea before it gets cold. ’nuff said.
I have a free printable with ideas I don’t include on the podcast or in this article. It’s special for my subscribers. It contains lots of ways to make chores and parenting more fun. Download and start adding some sunshine into your day!
Making Chores More Fun
For me, chores can be challenging to make “fun.” They just don’t feel fun to me. However, I’m learning new ways all the time to add a little sparkle into my day. Here are some of my favorite techniques.
- Get really cute cleaning supplies. Cleaning your toilet with ruffled gloves is just more fun. Add some yummy smelling essential oils to the cleaner and you’re ALMOST having a good time.
- Se a timer. I use this trick a lot. It doubles as making the chore more fun while also getting them done quicker. Win-Win! I use a cute timer app (I like Parrot Timer) so that when my time is up, it’s even more fun.
- Open the windows! If the weather’s nice, open the windows and feel the breeze and fresh air. It feels so good to do chores when the light is streaming in or you have a fresh breeze coming through. It makes you want to clean! and the bright light will help invigorate you. If it’s nighttime, do the reverse and light a candle.
For some families, this can be the hardest time of the evening. One way to make this less gruesome is if you’re not fighting with the kids — make it fun!
And you don’t need to be the one to come up with how.
Examples in my household:
- When writing sentences, put each sentence in a different color. Maybe even in rainbow order!
- When writing a book report on the computer, choose a fun font.
- Set a timer when doing homework. I use an app on my phone called Mr. Bomb. This is helpful when doing worksheets, etc.
- Make up a song with spelling words or other facts.
- Have the kids come up with more ideas. You’ll be surprised by the creative games they will make up.
Make Your Life More Fun
I’m excited for you to add more fun to your busy life.
What will you add to your routine from the list here, or from the downloadable? Pick just ONE suggestion and start doing it right away! You won’t believe the difference it’ll make in your life and your family’s life.
If there are things you do that aren’t included here, let me know in the comments so others can learn and follow your suggestions.
Wishing you SO MUCH fun!