Have you heard all about self-care but think you have no time for it? Learn how to incorporate self-care into your daily life. Hint: It starts with your attitude. Also, learn my top three favorite self-care ideas.
Create a Life with Self-Care
True self-care isn’t about manicures, pedicures, and fun treats. It’s about taking care of yourself and the things that are important to you each and every day.
Many women have a hard time with the concept of self-care. They don’t really understand what it means and they also believe they don’t have enough time or energy for it, so they just give up.
Ugh!! I don’t want that for you! In my last podcast, we debunked lots of myths about self-care.
Now it’s time to discuss how to build self-care into your daily life.
The audio version of this blog post goes so much deeper (and is a lot funnier). I’d love for you to listen and learn how to create a life that has self-care in it.
Start with Your Attitude
You thought I’d give you a list of things to do for self-care. I’m not.
Self-care actually starts with your attitude towards yourself.
If you’re like every other Mom I know, you’re constantly pushing yourself to get “just one more thing done” till you want to pass out from exhaustion.
Self-care is about being gentle with ourselves.
It’s funny because usually, no one is telling us to overdo it. For the most part, our husbands aren’t telling us to do more. Our kids aren’t telling us to bake the cake from scratch.
Frankly, our spouses don’t care if the house is falling down around us and filthy. It’s not them. It’s us.
We’re doing it to ourselves because we believe that we’re supposed to do things in a certain way. It’s normal to feel exhausted at the end of the day.
However, self-care starts when we tell ourselves it’s okay if we do less. It’s okay if we rest. It’s okay if something isn’t perfect.
How to Create an Attitude of Self-Care
If you’re struggling with creating an attitude where self-care and ease are allowed for yourself, I want you to do two things:
- Notice. First start noticing when you push yourself to keep going beyond exhaustion. Also, notice how you talk to yourself when you make mistakes
Noticing is actually the first step because so often, we don’t even realize we’re overdoing it. Start noticing and just be aware, almost like you’re looking at yourself in a video. You’ll start to observe yourself overdoing it or talking to yourself in a negative way.
- Practice. Start practice doing things differently. Easier said than done, but everything in life takes practice. Even doing less. ESPECIALLY doing less. The more practice, the better you’ll get. Promise!
To help you create a self-care mindset, I created a printable for you with self-care affirmations.
Choose 1 or more affirmations from the list, write them down where you’ll see them every day, and try to say them out loud. (Your car is a great place for this). Affirmations will help you create a mind-shift for self-care.
How do I Download the Free Printable
Click on the picture above to download. If you are new to this site and need the password, sign up below and you’ll get it right away, so you can download your file and start getting more balanced!
Actionable Self-Care Recommendations
Besides creating an attitude of self-care, there are also actionable things you can do that will create self-care. These are optional. The mind-shift is the most important.
Once you start doing regular self-care, whatever you choose to do, even if it’s as small as drinking more water every day, it’ll have a snowball effect and you’ll notice you’ll start to do more self-care.
I have a list of 3 self-care suggestions that I recommend you do that may sound small but will have trickle-down effects for all parts of your life. You can either choose something of your own, or choose one of my top 3 suggestions.
- Put all screens away before bed and relax. If you do nothing else except this one habit, you’ll notice a HUGE shift in your life. Your body needs to decompress. Screens before bed may seem relaxing, but they aren’t. I have a whole podcast episode for you on this https://balancedworkingmoms.com/make-time-to-rest-before-bed/
- Meditate. Meditating daily has changed my life (and my brain!). Just sitting in silence for 5 minutes a day can uplevel your whole life. You’ll become calmer, happier, and less reactive. Who doesn’t want that?
- Movement. Just a little movement throughout the week will work wonders for you. You’ll have more energy, your attitude will improve. Little bits of movement add up, even if it’s just 5 or 10 minutes a day.
What Will You Do?
I hope after reading this you feel excited about self-care and no longer see it as a burden. It’s easy to add it to your life when you’re not creating a whole self-care checklist. Start with your attitude and if you like, add a small self-care routine to your list. You’ll start seeing the changes quickly!
Let me Know
Let me know in the comments what you’ll be doing for self-care!